Friday, January 15, 2010

Merry Christmas

For Christmas, I got a Kindle. I think it is the wave of the future.
Kindle is a device that stores books, magazines and other content and allows you to read it anytime anywhere. You get content two ways: either download it instantly via wireless or download it to your computer and transfer it to your Kindle, which acts like another drive when connected.
The first book I bought and read was Band of Brothers, an excellent and true World War II story.
But this is what hooked me. While I was in Tampa visiting my brother, I picked up a book he was reading, called The 5,000 Year Leap. I had read good reviews and read a couple of chapters. It was excellent.
I put down the book, picked up my Kindle and in less than two minutes, at a cost of $7.96, I had the book.
Ebooks are cheap but what many people don't realize is that many free books are available online. I got Study in Scarlet, Wealth of Nations and Penrod, for example, free.
Newspapers and magazines tend to be pricey but blogs are cheap.
Devices similar to Kindle are emerging daily.
Imagine the possibilities. Millions of kids may not have to lug heavy bookpacks around campus. Huge, expensive libraries may not be necessary.
The world is changing. Usually for the better.

No comments: