By saying that, he demolished the liberal talking point that the law is inviolate, not susceptible to any change from what was enacted.
But Obama also demolished his own statement that he would not negotiate.
Publisher Steve Forbes has made several suggestions that would, beyond question, improve health care and health insurance in America. Contrary to the media, the two are not the same.
Forbes suggests that Congress:
- Allow interstate shopping for insurance;
- Give tax deductions for insurance premiums currently limited to businesses and the self-employed to everyone;
- Prevent Medicare money from being used to fund Obamacare;
- Stop the exemption of Congress and staff from Obamacare;
- Encourage high-risk pools to lower costs for everyone else;
- Push medical malpractice reform; and
- Eliminate Obamacare's mandated benefits and let people decide what coverage they want.
The debate over government funding and the debt ceiling is focused on forcing down ruinous spending. But Obamacare adds greatly to that problem and common sense improvements to it are necessary.